Upcoming Webinars Open for Registration:
Serving Deaf Patrons in the Library Workshop
A two-part online workshop, each session lasting 90 minutes, on Thursdays, September 17 and 24, 2020 , 2:30pm Eastern/1:30 Central/12:30 Mountain/11:30am Pacific
Library services are for everyone, and that includes the deaf community. In this workshop, Kathy MacMillan, librarian and certified American Sign Language interpreter, guides you in making your library a more welcoming place for patrons who are deaf or hard of hearing. You will gain an understanding of Deaf culture, learn library-related signs, and become prepared to confidently work with interpreters for your programs.
$75 per person; discounts available for groups and American Library Association Members.
Join us for weekly interactive “annotated storytimes” that teaches basic American Sign Language vocabulary and demonstrate how to use the signs in storytime activities and the early childhood classroom. Each session will focus on specific vocabulary:
- Thursday, October 8, 11 AM-12 PM Eastern: School and Library Signs
- Thursday, October 15, 11 AM-12 PM Eastern: Playtime Signs
- Thursday, October 22, 11 AM-12 PM Eastern: Safety Signs
- Thursday, October 29, 11 AM-12 PM Eastern: Our Signing Day
- Thursday, November 5, 11 AM-12 PM Eastern: People Signs
Because each webinar is theme-based, it is not necessary to have taken Series 1 or 2 in order to get the most out of Series 3!
Children of participants are welcome to join for the first 40 minutes. The final 20 minutes will consist of lecture and Q&A. Webinars are presented in spoken English. To request accommodations, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individual registration: $200 for the 5-webinar series. Group rate: $1500 for 10 people for the 5-webinar series.
- 30-minute one-on-one coaching session: $30. A one-on-one Zoom session with Kathy MacMillan to receive individualized feedback on your planned signing materials for storytime or the classroom – planned around your schedule! Includes recording access. Must be used within 6 months of purchase.
- Individualized video feedback: $20.Submit a video (up to 10 min) demonstrating your planned signing activities for storytime and receive individualized feedback on sign choices, production, and more from Kathy MacMillan via return video within 14 days. Must be used within 6 months of purchase.
Online Workshops for Writers:
Click on the graphics for more information and registration.