Upcoming Webinars Open for Registration:
90-minute workshop, Wednesday, June 10 at 2:30 PM Eastern/1:30 PM Central/12:30 PM Mountain/11:30 AM Pacific. $60 per person; discounts available for ALA Members and groups.
Signing with young children of any hearing ability fosters bonding, stimulates language development, and reduces frustration for caregiver and child. Learn how to use sign language in storytimes to broaden their appeal and make them more participative. In this interactive workshop, Kathy MacMillan—American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter, librarian, and storyteller—will use video examples to provide easy-to-learn signs that can be retaught and incorporated into stories, rhymes, and songs. You will be able to use the skills learned in this workshop to create programs that will help you, your staff, and parents communicate better with children. Register at https://tinyurl.com/livenup2020
In response to popular demand, we are offering an encore session of this ALA Editions webinar!
A 90-minute workshop, Wednesday, June 17, 2020, 2:30pm Eastern/1:30pm Central/12:30pm Mountain/11:30am Pacific
$60 per person; discounts available for ALA Members and groups
With many libraries currently closed to the public, library staff are turning to online storytimes as a way to provide quality programming for young patrons.
Join veteran storyteller Kathy MacMillan to explore the fundamental differences between online and in-person storytimes and best practices to bring early literacy programming into an online environment. Learn how to plan video-friendly programs, how to keep your programming interactive even when you don’t have live feedback from storytime attendees, and how to manage external stresses such as technological glitches and internal stresses such as camera fright.
After participating in this event, you will:
- Understand the fundamental differences in approach to online and in-person storytimes
- Have at least three concrete strategies for making online storytimes interactive
- Be able to implement strategies for dealing with external and internal stresses
Join us for weekly interactive “annotated storytimes” that teaches basic American Sign Language vocabulary and demonstrate how to use the signs in storytime activities and the early childhood classroom. Each session will focus on specific seasonal vocabulary:
- Tuesday, July 7, 11 AM-12 PM Eastern: Summer Signs
- Tuesday, July14, 11 AM-12 PM Eastern: Autumn Sign
- Tuesday, July 21, 11 AM-12 PM Eastern: Winter Signs
- Tuesday, July 28, 11 AM-12 PM Eastern: Spring Signs
- Tuesday, August 4, 11 AM-12 PM Eastern: Celebration Signs
Children of participants are welcome to join for the first 40 minutes. The final 20 minutes will consist of lecture and Q&A. Webinars are presented in spoken English. To request accommodations, contact email@example.com.
Individual registration: $200 for the 5-webinar series. Group rate: $1500 for 10 people for the 5-webinar series.
- 30-minute one-on-one coaching session: $30. A one-on-one Zoom session with Kathy MacMillan to receive individualized feedback on your planned signing materials for storytime or the classroom – planned around your schedule! Includes recording access. Must be used within 6 months of purchase.
- Individualized video feedback: $20.Submit a video (up to 10 min) demonstrating your planned signing activities for storytime and receive individualized feedback on sign choices, production, and more from Kathy MacMillan via return video within 14 days. Must be used within 6 months of purchase.
Quillfully: Online Workshops for Writers:
Click on the graphics for more information and registration.