You are welcome to share any of these handouts with others as long as the website attribution remains on the handout.
Sign With Your Child Handout for parents (printable.pdf)
Recommended Online ASL Dictionaries:
- Gallaudet Children’s Dictionary of American Sign Language
- Signingtime.com/dictionary/ (includes model descriptions of signs in English)
- SigningSavvy.com (Browsing access free; searching from the site available for subscribers only. To search this site without an account, go to google.com and search “Signing Savvy” followed by the word you are looking for)
First Signs/Signs for Babies:
- First Signs Storytime Resources
- First Signs Handout (printable .pdf)
- Signs for Babies Handout (printable .pdf)
- Manners Song (printable .pdf)
- Nice Play Signs Handout (printable .pdf)
- Number Signs Storytime Resources
- Numbers 0-10 Signs Handout (printable .pdf)
- Bouncing Buckaroo handout (printable .pdf)
- Colors Signs Storytime Resources
- Color Signs Handout (printable .pdf)
- 5 Little Trucks Flannelboard song with ASL (Kathy MacMillan)
Diaper and Potty Signs:
Child Development Resources:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Developmental Milestones
- American Sign Language and English Language Developmental Milestones (IDEAL/ The Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Education)
Videos Shared in the Workshop:
- From cooing and babbling to utterance in American Sign Language (Handspeak)
- Toddlers Chatting in Car ASL (Ken and Sarah Brown)
- Fingerspelling development from baby to preschooler (Handspeak)
- Animated Sign Language – Visual Motherese (Boys Town)
- Deaf Grandmother teaches 9 week old Deaf baby sign language (Aria Belle)
- Strategies to Support Your Child’s ASL Development: A Video Tutorial (Lynette Mattiacci)
Recommended Resources About Signing with Children:
- Nita’s First Signs and Nita’s Day by Kathy MacMillan. Familius Press.
- Little Hands and Big Hands: Children and Adults Signing Together by Kathy MacMillan. Hands Up Press, 2022.
- Sign to Learn: American Sign Language in the Early Childhood Classroom by Kirsten Dennis and Tressa Azpiri. Redleaf Press, 2005.
- Dancing with Words: Signing for Hearing Children’s Literacy by Marilyn Daniels. Bergin and Garvey, 2001.
- Sign with Robert: Babies and Children with Robert DeMayo. DVD and Streaming.
- Signing Time series. Two Little Hands Productions. DVD and Streaming.
- ASL Nook
More Resources for Signing with Children:
Nita’s First Signs and Nita’s Day – book info and parent/teacher resources
Resources for Signing with Babies and Young Children
Resources for Signing in Storytime or the Classroom
Picture Books about ASL and Deaf Culture
Resources for Educators and Librarians
Resources for Learning American Sign Language