Learn American Sign Language from a Deaf instructor in these online courses from the Hearing and Speech Agency, a highly-respected Baltimore non-profit.
Registration now open for
- Summer Session 1: April 17-May 15, 2023
- Summer Session 2: May 29-June 26, 2023
1-hour classes meet once a week online.
- This five-week course is designed to help students develop and mature foundational communicative skills to prepare them for everyday conversations in ASL. In addition, students will further master their fluency through the interactive stylized nature of the course. Students should have taken at least one ASL class before taking this class.
- Fingerspelling (spelling out words by hand using the ASL manual alphabet) is an important part of ASL and a valuable tool if you do not know signs in ASL. You will also find an increase of fluency with your ASL execution after completing the fingerspelling lessons taught in this class. This is because proper nouns are fingerspelled in ASL and have been deemed to be part of the foundation of the language. This class will take you through fingerspelling practice sessions on various topics and you will leave the class understanding and executing the manual alphabet in ASL.
Specialized Deaf Culture Topics
- This is a five-week course providing a historical overview of the American Deaf community and its evolving culture. Deafness as a culture and not a disability is explained as participants are guided into the world of Deaf culture.
To see the complete schedule and register, click here.
Program offerings featured in “In the Community” posts are not affiliated with Stories by Hand and are shared to spread the word about other ASL learning opportunities.